Some bananas had become overripe and since last week I had made banana nut bread, I thought this time I would make a banana pudding.
When you are bi- or multi- cultural, you get hungry for things from elsewhere, not available locally. You either do without, substitute or make it yourself.
Banana pudding. But we have no cookies. Vanilla wafers are not available here; usually I substitute Petit Beurre, not at all the same, but they work. However we had none. Bright idea—why not make some vanilla wafers? I quickly found a recipe: https://bakingamoment.com/homemade-vanilla-wafers/
Upon reading the comments I was surprised to see that many people wanted to make them for the same reason as me—banana pudding!
I set to work and soon they were cooling on a rack. I only got 38 rather than the 65 indicated in the recipe and two of them disappeared almost immediately. When my husband asked if he could have more, I replied non, non, no-on, non, non. Full disclosure, one of them was eaten by me.
Next I made the custard. Mix 1/3 cup flour with ½ cup sugar and pinch of salt. Slowly add 2 cups milk, stirring well. Put in a 1 inch piece of split vanilla bean. Separate 3 eggs and add a 4th to the yolks. Cook the milk/flour mixture until thick, it is OK if it boils. Then, beating all the while with a whisk, add this very slowly to the egg and yolks. Return to pan and cook for one or two minutes on low heat. Let cool, stirring from time to time.
Layer the cookies, custard and sliced bananas in a dish that can go in the oven.
Wait a little while, then beat the egg whites until frothy, add ¼ cup sugar gradually, beat until peaks form. Spread this over the pudding and brown under the grill in the oven, not too close, and watch carefully. It only took about 3-4 minutes for the peaks to brown.
It will probably be better tomorrow as the cookies did not have time to absorb from the custard and were a bit crunchy. We found it a bit too sweet; I generally use less sugar but did not this time.
A landscape? Mountains, desert, sea?
The peels get chopped and given to the roses.
I girded up my loins, in a manner of speaking as I actually wore olive green trousers, and participated in Couleurs de Bretagne painting contests three days running.
I had fun with Sennelier Prussian Blue ink, using it directly from the bottle with the dropper and then spraying with water.
Another one for the Rustique series, collage, on recuperated cardboard. I made some crocheted elements, had a lot of fun in spite of the wind which kept emptying my little garbage bag. You really have to be a devoted anti-litter bug to pick up scraps of paper over three times! This work won the prize in its category and will be shown at the regional finals. I came home with a bag of goodies and a sunburn on the back of my neck, sort of an Achilles heel type place, I guess.
I did a mandala, n° 50 which also happens to be 50cm square. The center is a monument in the center of the town of Guerlesquin. It was originally a prison, now a museum. Hydrangeas can be found nearby; Brittany is well known for them. The triskell and the ermine are Breton motifs. A large part of this town’s economy is based on chickens. I buy mine at the town market. Guerlesquin has a Breton horse fair so I thought there must be some Breton horses somewhere in the community. After asking and driving out to the edge of the community, I found two magnificent ones who came to the field’s entrance and more or less posed for 5 or 10 minutes. I captured what I could. The town squares are surrounded by venerable trees pruned regularly. The motifs on the lower left can be seen on the walls of the church. This work won the Sennelier prize for a different view of patrimony. They are Couleurs de Bretagne sponsors. I came home with one of their products. This work came home also, it will not be at the regionals.
My prize: a box of their renowned pastels. Look at those reds! And the blues! And I must try those greens!
This was done for a contest with Couleurs de Bretagne. I did not have time to finish it there as I would have liked but now I think it is done. At the contest I entitled it “Sans rompre le fil” because there is an unbroken thread running throughout, well, there is a start and an end… 🙂 This is collage on recuperated cardboard to which I applied a coat of gesso in preparation.
My interest in mixed media led me to take a workshop in scrapbooking. It was prepared by Manuéla – https://hazartblog.wordpress.com/2019/03/12/en-mars-a-latelier-2/
I knew I did not want to use photos so I cut some watercolour paper to the prescribed sizes. We didn’t get that far. This is what I brought home:
These were made with stamps:
The main lesson point for the evening was the use of watercolour. We used waterproof black ink for the stamps and then painted them with watercolours. The mandala was made with two embossing products, white on white, and then painted.
These are the materials I had left:
Plenty for making some cards which were also included in the lesson plan.
After thinking over the colours and motifs, I decided ink drawings of mushrooms would go well.
…and also some black paper. One of the reference photos is my own and the other two were taken by a good friend who went out into her garden especially for this project. ❤
The finished piece:
I bought a new painting knife so I had to try it out. Not quite off the easel.